In this Guide to buy bags to cook vacuum , we intend to transfer everything we have learned about this subject. Our intention is that you do not make the mistakes that we have made when buying vacuum cooking bags. So you can get it right by making a good purchase the first time.
We want to show you all the important aspects that you have to take into account when buying vacuum cooking bags . So you can use them with the certainty that doing so will not have any problem.
How to buy bags for vacuum cooking and low temperature at home?
Bags for vacuum cooking in front of vacuum packaging bags
The most important thing when buying vacuum cooking bags is that there are plastic bags that are designed solely to preserve food and are not suitable for cooking food inside .
We can distinguish then between:
- Bags for vacuum packaging intended for food preservation.
- Bags for vacuum packaging intended for cooking food.
Most of the bags you will find for sale are suitable only for food preservation but are not suitable for cooking food .
The bags used to cook food must be designed specifically for this purpose. They must be able to withstand the temperatures to which they will be subjected during cooking, during the entire duration of cooking .
Not all bags designed to cook food under vacuum or at low temperature are able to withstand the same temperatures .
Always check the information provided by the manufacturer. In doing so, make sure that:
- The bags that you will use are bags for cooking , that is, suitable for cooking food inside.
- The bags can be used at the temperatures and cooking times you will use.
There are bags, usually cheaper, formed by a reduced number of layers of plastic that soften when they exceed certain temperatures.
This type of bags, in addition, do not protect so well the foods contained in the interior of the exchange of gases with the outside of the bag. This makes the protection offered by these bags against atmospheric oxygen lower.
For these reasons, these bags are not suitable for cooking foods at low temperature that we then go to refrigerate or freeze for later consumption.
Some bags of this type also can not be used to freeze food and become brittle at low temperatures, easily breaking or puncturing.
On the contrary, there are bags for cooking vacuum foods formed by multiple layers of different materials, which withstand higher temperatures during longer cooking times .
These cooking bags better protect the food packed in them against the liquids and gases present on the outside of the bag.
These cooking bags are usually slightly more expensive, but they are the most suitable for cooking at low temperatures. Especially if we are not going to consume the cooked food immediately and we intend to keep it in the fridge or freezer.
Bags for vacuum cooking or Rolls?
There are not only plastic bags for vacuum cooking and low temperature of different sizes.
There are also plastic rolls that allow us to make our own vacuum cooking bags.
The rolls allow us to adjust the size of the cooking bag to the food we will cook inside it. Therefore, in general, using rolls for vacuum cooking is cheaper than using cooking bags .
Advantages of plastic rolls for vacuum cooking
- The main advantage of the rolls for vacuum packaging in front of the cooking bags is that they allow you to create your own bags and make it the exact size you need in each case.
- On the other hand, if you use plastic bags for vacuum cooking, when you pack vacuum foods inside, sometimes you will not find a bag size that fits well with the size of the food you are packing.
- In these cases you will have to waste space in the bag, using a larger cooking bag than you really need.
- In addition, rolls for packaging vacuum foods are somewhat cheaper than vacuum packaging bags .
Disadvantages of plastic rolls for vacuum cooking
- The disadvantage of rolls for vacuum packaging food versus vacuum packaging bags is that the packaging process is a little longer.
- First you have to seal one end of the packaging roll and then cut the roll to the extent you need to form the bag in which vacuum packed food.
- On the other hand, if you use bags to vacuum-pack food, these steps are not necessary since the bag is already made.
Smooth or “embossed” vacuum cooking bags?
If you visit any store where they sell bags to cook vacuum foods, you will see that there are cooking bags of two different types .
On the one hand you will see bags whose surfaces are completely smooth .
On the other hand you will see bags whose inner surface is ” embossed “. The inner surface of these bags has a pattern in the form of a grid or grid .
The completely smooth vacuum packaging bags only work properly when used in a vacuum packer that has a vacuum bell . Vacuum packing machines with vacuum hoods are usually intended for professional use in the hotel industry due to their large size and high cost.
The grid that is on the inner surface of the “embossed” vacuum cooking bags or rolls is designed to facilitate the removal of air from the inside of the plastic bag when a domestic vacuum food packaging machine is used.
If you try to use a bag or a roll for vacuum packaging whose surface is completely smooth in a domestic vacuum packaging machine, the packer will not be able to extract all the air contained inside the bag.
In addition, when there is little air inside the bag, if the vacuum pump of the packaging machine has sufficient power, it will try to swallow the end of the bag, possibly damaging it.So, to vacuum food packaging with a domestic vacuum packing machine, only the vacuum packaging bags or rolls whose surface is “embossed” will serve you .
Temperatures and cooking times supported by bags and rolls for cooking vacuum foods
Not all rolls or plastic bags for vacuum food packaging serve to cook food inside them .
If you use a plastic bag or roll that has not been specifically designed to cook food inside, what will probably happen is that:
- By subjecting the plastic to a higher temperature than it is designed to withstand, the plastic will soften.
- Due to this, air can get inside the bag.
- In extreme cases, the bag can become brittle and break.
Even if this does not happen, if you cook food inside a bag or vacuum packaging roll that has not been designed for cooking, some of the chemicals that make up the plastic may end up transferring to the cooked items .
On the contrary, the rolls and plastic bags designed for cooking food have passed a series of controls that guarantee their safety. You can use these rolls and bags to cook vacuum safely, as long as you respect the limits for cooking times and temperatures indicated by the manufacturer .
Therefore, if you want to avoid any health risk when vacuum cooking , use only plastic bags or rolls that have been specifically designed to cook food inside.
The bags and plastic rolls that are only adequate for preserving vacuum – packed foods but not for cooking , often marketed as:
- “Bags for conservation”.
- “Bags for vacuum packaging”.
- “Packaging bags”.
- “Bags for vacuum packaging”.
In the packaging of these bags and rolls, the manufacturer does not refer to the cooking of food or specifically indicate that they are not used to cook food.
On the other hand, plastic bags and rolls that are suitable for cooking food are usually marketed as:
- “Bags for cooking”.
- “Cooking bags”.
- “Bags to cook”.
- “Bags for vacuum cooking”.
In the packaging of these bags and rolls, the manufacturer will clearly indicate that they are suitable for cooking food.
The manufacturers of rolls and plastic bags for vacuum cooking usually indicate on the packaging which is the maximum cooking time that we can use safely . This time is indicated for different cooking temperatures .
If we respect these maximum limits for the times and temperatures of cooking when vacuum cooking, we will be completely sure that the bags will not break or become more brittle during cooking.
If the packaging does not indicate these values of time and temperature you will always have the doubt if you can have any problem when using this type of packaging for cooking.
We can also be fully sure that chemicals that may be harmful to our health have not been transferred to cooked food .
Our advice when buying vacuum and low temperature cooking bags are:
- Buy only embossed plastic bags or rolls .
- Never buy completely smooth plastic bags / rolls.
- Buy only rolls and plastic bags designed for vacuum cooking .
- Never cook using rolls / bags for vacuum packaging that have not been designed for cooking.
- Use rolls / bags to cook under vacuum in which the manufacturer clearly indicates what are the temperatures and maximum cooking times that we must respect