If you’re someone who frequently hosts BBQ parties, you know how important it is to get the best grill. With time, innovations have led to the replacement of the basic BBQ grill for smokers.
Amongst these, the gravity feed smoker has gained quite a popularity. It is easy to use and does not require constant monitoring like other smokers or grills. This in turn lets you focus on other activities while your food is cooking.
As with most products, the competition in the market is high. And so, choosing the best gravity feed smoker to suit your needs can be quite difficult.
Luckily for you, we have taken the liberty of shortlisting some of our favorites to aid your decision-making process
#List of the Best Gravity Feed Smoker – Our Editor’s Pick:
Gravity Feed Smoker Before You Buy What to Look for
Here are the things you need to keep in mind before you go on the hunt for a gravity feed smoker. So, read our buying guide before you move on to the gravity feed smoker reviews.
Just how much do you like to grill, barbecue and smoke? Do you frequently host large BBQ parties or is it a rare occasion with a smaller guest list? The answer to these questions will determine the right basket size for your gravity feed smoker.
The good news is, these guys come in various sizes, with even the smallest models being large enough to fit big pieces of meat. So, whatever the purpose, there’s probably a right size for you.
Not every smoker is made equal, and some are more efficient than others. While some can burn for up to 16 hours, others will only hold their own for about 8. Some will hit the sweet spot with up to 12 hours of burning.
However, it depends entirely upon what is being smoked/grilled. And, as you may be able to imagine, you’re going to pay a higher price if you want a higher burning time. More important than burning time, though, is the fuel efficiency of the smoker, so look for models with thoroughly designed hoppers.
Most smokers are extremely versatile machines, with the ability to do more than just smoke meat. You will find models which can also barbecue, grill, roast, and bake.
Some smokers can even braise your meat for you! For those of you who like your grills to be as simple as possible, this might be overkill. But for tech-savvy culinary enthusiasts, this can be quite an exciting feature… for a higher price.
- Water Pan
You will have noticed that some gravity feed smokers come with added receptacles for water. Although this is not an essential component of the process, this cooling element contributes to balancing the temperature by enhancing moisture, which results in more tender meat.
- Temperature Probe
Some smokers come with in-built temperature probes, which contribute to reducing condensation. Once again, this enhances the texture of the meat and can add something new to the flavor of your meat.
Top 10 Best Gravity Feed Smoker Reviews
Keeping in mind the latest innovations and versatility, we have picked out ten of the most desired gravity smokers in the market. So, without further ado, let’s check them out.
1. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
Founded in 1948, Char-Broil has been excelling in the grill and smoker industry for quite a while now. Each of their products is of the highest quality and this 3-in-1 smoker is no different.
Versatility takes on new heights as this device lets you grill, smoke, roast your food to perfection. This saves up tons of money as you won’t have to buy separate units for each purpose. Featuring a 1200 square inch basket, it will comfortably accommodate the largest turkey you can find.
Furthermore, the 180 square inches TRU infrared grilling surface is removable and easy to clean. This reduces the strain on cleaning after you’ve had a long day of grilling and having fun. The TRU infrared surface enhances the taste of your food, leaving your meat tender and juicy on the inside.
Moreover, the smoker is easy to use and transport when compared to most gravity feed smokers. Simply connect it to your liquid propane tank and turn the knob to light the unit.
The best part is, you won’t have to interrupt your socializing to constantly run back and check on your food. With two side-mounted handles for enhanced portability, moving the smoker around is not a hassle at all.
- 3-in-1 functionality lets your grill, roast, and smoke in one device
- Large 1200 square inch basket to accommodate meat of all different sizes
- Simple and easy to use
- Removable grease trays for effortless cleaning
- Side-mounted handles make transportation of the unit easier
- Cannot consistently maintain temperatures below 210 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Dyna-Glo Signature Series Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill
This next unit from Dyna-Glo is a large 5 level heavy duty smoker which opens the door to multiple BBQ cooking styles. Whether you want to smoke, roast, or grill, this flexible device will do it all.
For starters, the build quality surpasses even the top gravity feed smokers. Made of heavy-duty stainless steel, the device maintains superior consistency in terms of heat distribution. From the outside, the matte black texture adds a touch of class and style to your cooking.
What’s more, the large basket features 5 layers of chrome-plated grates, summing up to a total of 1382 square inches of cooking space.
Whether you’re having a large party or not, this smoker will cater to even the largest of guest lists. Be it Thanksgiving or Christmas, you won’t have to worry about getting a smaller sized turkey to fit your grill.
Dyna-Glo has also added some little bits of their own innovation here and there that enhance your overall cooking experience. The cool-touch spring lid grip is one such handle that you won’t see anywhere.
It allows you to easily lift off the lids as the spring keeps the handle cool. Also, the steel gauge features a smoke zone technology that tells you the right temperature to infuse smoky flavor into your meat.
- Large cooking space of 1382 square inches
- 5 Layers of chrome-plated grates allowing you to cook more than one type of meat
- Steel wheels at the base allow for easy movement
- Pre-installed sausage hooks for enhanced flexibility
- Cool-touch spring to lift the lids at ease
- Needs to be properly cleaned else rusting will occur
- Takes a bit of time to set up
3. Z GRILLS ZPG-7002E 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
The best thing about pellet grills is the smoky wooden flavor that your food acquires. Not only do you achieve great taste, but the efficiency of the grill is also quite high.
You can easily cook for up to 20 hours using 20 pounds of wooden pellets. In essence, the cooking flavor and heat output you receive from using pellets is more cost-saving than gas.
Moving on, it is always fun to cook and use a grill, but the problem arises when you have to end up cleaning it. The material construction of the grates prevents high grease build-up. Also, the design of the grill features a waste oil collector to easily drain away used oil.
Fitted with an electronic auto-start ignition, using this grill is a piece of cake for beginners and professionals alike. At the front of the grill is a real-time LED display to show the current temperature.
When combined with the auto temperature control mechanism, you can cook anywhere between 180 to 450 degrees.
- Can carry out 8 different functions within one unit
- Rust-resistant stainless steel build offers long service times
- Highly accurate temperature consistency
- Wheels at the base for easy movement
- Auto ignite mechanism lights up the grill using electricity
- The unit is heavy and difficult to move around
4. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
We have yet another favorite from Dyna-Glo, this smoker features a vertical design and some tweaks that make it stand out amongst the rest. All Stainless Steel build with smoke zone technology will ensure that your meat is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
From the exterior, the unit boasts a rectangular design with sharp corners that makes it stand out from most round-edged grills. The boxy design also adds functional benefits. When the heat rises within the oven, the rectangular design helps to boost efficiency.
All of the design changes from the previous model have contributed to this unit’s maximized burn efficiency. The small charcoal chamber has been shaped in a way to stack the briquettes.
This way, they are closely packed, offering more heat output. Also, the offset design of the charcoal chamber keeps the heat from directly warming up the food. As a result, your food cooks slowly and completely.
The Dyna-Glo grill gives you total control over the smokiness that is infused with your food.
Using the temperature gauge with the new and improved smoke zone indicator, you will be able to easily identify the perfect temperature to infuse the smoky flavor. This will add the right bit of flavor to your meat without making it seem burnt.
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Smoke zone indicator within the temperature gauge
- Stainless steel build for enhanced durability
- An offset design keeps heat directly away from your food
- Offers 6 height-adjustable cooking trays
- Due to thin steel construction, heat transfer is lost
- The charcoal chamber is small in size
5. Masterbuilt MB20040220 Gravity Series 560
If there’s any grill that maximizes the use of technology to provide the best-tasting food, it’s the gravity series 560 from Masterbuilt. Featuring a great overall aesthetic with the best hardware, this smoker will compete with the best gravity fed smokers out there.
The powerful heating mechanism packed into this unit will reach high temperatures of 700 degrees Fahrenheit in just 13 minutes! If you thought that’s fast, then you should watch it heat up to 225 degrees in almost 7 minutes.
In addition, the device features wireless functionalities that enable you to control it using your smartphone. This is great when you’re hosting parties, you don’t even have to be near your grill to change the heating temperature.
Using the built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth system, you can easily connect it to your phone and control the timer or temperature of the grill.
What’s more, the gravity series 560 lets you cook with charcoal for over 12 hours at one go. Forget the hassle of removing char after every few hours and go enjoy. The GravityFed hopper increases the fuel output you receive, giving you the best taste and lower cost.
- Quick heating to reach 225 degrees in 7 minutes
- Wireless functionalities via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- GravityFed charcoal hopper maximizes fuel efficiency
- Built-in digital fan for proper temperature control
- Two porcelain coated smoking racks for increased cooking space
- Setting up instructions in the manual are not clear
- Product assembly takes up a lot of time
6. Backwoods Chubby 3400 Portable Outdoor Cooking
First things first, the design aspect and compact size of the grill make it easy to carry around. Although small and compact, the interior has been optimized to provide you with large cooking space. Inside the compartment, you will find 4 adjustable racks with tons of space.
In addition, Backwoods Smoker has integrated a charcoal water smoker which allows you to control the smoky flavor that goes into your food.
The charcoal-fueled firebox is responsible for the amount of smoke that seeps into your meat when cooking. Paired with the thermometer placed outside the box, you will be able to keep a close eye on your food.
- Charcoal fueled firebox to control the amount of smoke that goes into your food
- A thermometer placed outside the unit to give you a clear look at the temperature
- Compact design aids portability
- Nickel-plated racks are rust-resistant and long-lasting
- 4 racks to give you more cooking space
- The unit struggles to maintain constant temperatures
- The price level is high considering the number of features provided
7. Masterbuilt MB20040220 Gravity Series 560
Featuring 3 layers of smoking racks, you not only have a portable smoker at your disposal, but also a large cooking space.
The dimensions of the unit are measured at 20×21.69x 40.15 inches. That might not seem like a lot, but Masterbuilt has 3 separate grates to maximize the space inside the grill. So, if you’re in the mood to cook some sausages and turkeys in one go, this is just right for you.
Moving on, maintaining a constant temperature is something most grills struggle with. But, with this specific unit, you won’t have to think twice about constantly bothering to check on the heat. All you need to do is input your desired temperature and forget about the grill.
It’s understandable if you rarely get to whip out your fancy smoker for the crowd, given the busy schedule people have nowadays. However, we would like to highlight how easy it is to clean and maintain.
The chrome-coated smoking racks are rust-resistant which makes the grease easy to wipe off. Also, the wood chip tray at the bottom of the unit can be removed easily once you want to get all the ashes out.
If you’re familiar with barbecue dishes, you already know that the meat needs to be cooked slowly. This allows the meat to cook inside as well as maintain a crunchy outer layer as well.
The MB20070210 manages to maintain the temperature so well that you will have a burst of flavor with every bite you take. Be an amateur or a professional, you don’t risk the underlying chances of burning or overcooking your food.
- Entirely powered with electricity
- 3 racks to give you more cooking space
- The temperature gauge lets you control and maintains the heat within
- Front access grease tray catches all the excess drippings
- Easy to clean
- Extreme temperatures can cause the paint to wear off
8. Broil King 923614 Vertical Propane Smoker
Built with high-quality stainless steel, this smoker from Broil King will provide you with 3 different options to choose from. Be it propane, charcoal, or natural gas, each of the fuel selections works equally as great to give you rich tasting food.
Taking a look on the inside, you will see 4 fully adjustable cooking grids waiting to comfortably sit your food. The compact-sized smoker offers a total of 770 square inches of total cooking surface. The 4 layers of cooking grids allow you to maximize the available space by stacking your food on top of one another.
Durability will not be an issue when you invest in this vertical propane smoker. The double-walled steel construction traps the heat inside and prevents the inner components from damage. It also features a secondary door within the double wall for easy access to the water bowl and smoker box.
- High quality double-walled stainless steel build
- 4 adjustable racks for flexibility and maximized cooking space
- Offers 16 stainless steel meat hooks
- Stainless steel fold-down grease catch prevents the grease from accumulating in front of the smoker
- Electronic ignition system
- Cannot be adjusted to lower temperature levels
- The included thermometer is not entirely accurate
- Doesn’t come with pre-installed wheels
9. Smokemiester BBQ Smokers Pellet/Wood BBQ Smoker
If you’re looking to save costs by investing in a grill that is also a wood BBQ smoker, then this is the way to go. While it may not provide all the luxurious features the best gravity feed charcoal smokers do, it will cater to your bare necessities with ease.
One of the unique features of this grill is the that it does not require electrical power to run. This is perfect for those old school BBQ enthusiasts that rely on the flavor of wood and coal to spice up their food naturally.
The device is designed to provide almost 8 hours of optimum smoke with just 4 cups of wood pellets. While most smokers struggle to compete with this rate, Smokemeister has optimized this unit to maximize the heat output. Your food will have the right amount of smokiness and just the right bit of well-done texture.
What’s more, the large 4-inch diameter of the smoker makes it easy for you to stack your food. Whether you’re burning wood pellets or just trying to barbecue some meat, the cylindrical design will aid both.
Smokemiester has also made this device effortless to clean. Featuring an already simplistic design, cleaning the all-in-one unit takes only a couple of minutes. All you need to do is open the lid and brush out all the residue after you’re done cooking.
- Easy to use mechanism
- 4-inch diameter to burn 2 whole cups of pellets
- Doesn’t take that much of an effort to maintain the unit
- Gets ready to smoke in just 5 minutes
- Installation does not use up too much time
- Does not contain multiple racks to cook 2 types of meat
- Wheels are not installed, making it harder to move
10. Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Grill Smoker with 2020 Newest Digital Controls
Whether you’re a professional at flipping patties at the grill or a beginner, this 8-in-1 product will serve you right either ways.
The electric auto start-ignition doesn’t require external lighters or matches for the smoker to catch fire. Also, the LED display shows you the temperature in real time to help you monitor how raw your food is.
Featuring an adjustable temperature setting, you can go as low as 180 degrees to a maximum high of 450 degrees. This is perfect for the versatility factor of the grill as it allows you to bake, smoke, roast, braise and BBQ.
Moreover, the overall build of the smoker is entirely of stainless steel. This enhances the durability and longevity of the device as it is rust resistant. This feature will also keep the grill from wearing out on the outside.
- LED real time thermometer
- Allows you to use 8 different cooking styles in one unit
- Versatile temperature range, from 180 to 450 degrees
- Rust-resistant build aids longevity and durability
- Heavy duty wheels
- Does not come with a cook book like most grills
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ)
1. How does gravity feed smokers work?
Gravity feeds have a coal hopper that holds enough coal to last the entire combustion time, although depending on how long you plan on running, you may need to replace the inside of the duct at least once. Smoking occurs by itself; another important feature of a gravity smokehouse is the firebox. This is where the magic happens: the heat and smoke from the hopper are transferred to the bottom of the chamber, where they rise evenly upward to cook the meat.
2. Can you use wood in a gravity-fed smoker?
Smoking with natural wood will give the best flavor to the smoking. First, fill the hopper with enough charcoal to cook everything. If you want to add firewood, we recommend using 1 to 2 firewood mixed with charcoal in the bin. Make sure the wood is away from the rubber propeller.
3. What charcoal is best?
There is a variety of charcoal available in the market. You may often get confused about which one to use. Here is our expert recommendation that may help you find the best charcoal for your burner.
1. Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal
2. Kingsford Matchlight
3. Royal Oak Lump Charcoal
4. Rockwood Lump Charcoal
5. Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal
6. Kingsford Original Briquettes
7. Fogo Super Premium
8. Royal Oak Briquettes
4. How to maintain a charcoal smoker?
If you have a charcoal smoker, you need to periodically check the charcoal gate, which tends to corrode or warp due to the high temperatures. If you find your gate is deformed, do not try to fix it rather you should ask for a replacement. You may crack while fixing. You should also check for ash accumulation at the coal locations after each smoke release.
The accumulation of ash not only impedes good heat distribution but can also trap moisture and chemical products.
Investing in a gravity feed smoker requires much thought and attention to the features that you require. Once you are able to put a budget aside, deciding on the best gravity feed smoker for you is all about your preferences. We ardently hope the products on our list allow you to find the right match.